Organization: The Water Trust
Closing date: 03 May 2017
[**THE ORGANIZATION** The Water Trust empowers rural communities in Uganda to reduce preventable death and debilitating disease by enabling access to safe water and a healthy, clean environment. Since 2008, The Water Trust has partnered with more than 350 communities in Masindi and Kiryandongo, benefitting more than 120,000 people. Headquartered in New York, The Water Trust aims to increase the scale of its operations and pioneer new approaches to increasing the impact and sustainability of water, sanitation, and hygiene programs.
POSITION SUMMARY The WASH Program Manager reports to the Country Director. The role has two primary objectives 1) to be the implementing project manager of The Water Trust programs on the ground for the Masindi location 2) to be the technical designer and quality supervisor for WASH structures and operations and management within the organization. The WASH Program Manager will lead the team in The Water Trust Masindi office to implement the organization’s environmental health and water, sanitation, and hygiene programs in coordination with Masindi District Local Government. The WASH Program Manager is a member of the Senior Management Team and contributes to strategic decisions to enhance program quality and build capacity to scale The Water Trust’s programs in Uganda. The WASH Program Manager is in charge of the daily implementation of the projects in the Masindi office and technical oversight in the Kiryandongo Office.
This is a tremendous opportunity for an ambitious environmental health management professional to help a high-impact organization enhance and expand programs in Uganda.
The ideal candidate will have strong project management skills with expertise in environmental health, water, sanitation, and hygiene and behavior change, with experience working with health facilities, schools and rural communities. The ideal candidate will have at least two years’ experience managing projects with an international NGO, experience managing teams (matrix and remote management), and experience with day-to-day office management.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate, support and supervise the social and technical program teams to ensure that programmatic annual targets for Masindi district (MSD) are achieved to a high quality, set standards and deadlines, within budget and meeting Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the Masindi (MSD) project area related to environmental health.
- Set and implement technical standards and quality to meet Key Performance Indicators and improve efficiency and effectiveness. Validate technical designs, technical contracts and bill of quantities for all programs at all sites, water quality, reliability and functionality, and open defecation free villages and improved hand washing behaviors.
- Develop the skills of the program team to enable program delivery at set standards, including appropriate stakeholders (e.g. teams of technicians or HPMs).
- Monitor and evaluate overall quality of program delivery which includes but is not limited to project outcomes related to water quality, reliability and functionality and hygiene and sanitation.
- Monthly reports on program delivery progress and quality, including outcomes that meet organization reporting needs.
- In collaboration with finance and operation departments, manage MSD programmatic budget and expenditure including adherence to TWT’s organizational and vehicle procedures and policies.
- Manage direct line reports, including setting their annual objectives, having regular one to one meetings and appraising line reports as per organizational guidelines.
- Support recruitment, induction and capacity building of programmatic team.
- Liaise with local / district authorities and community members at all levels to ensure that TWT delivers its MSD program in agreed locations, avoid duplication and ensure that the image of the organization in the community remains respectful, and the program is running smoothly.
- Support the Country Director to represent the organization at government level WASH/Health/Education sector meetings and when requested.
- Demonstrate flexibility as you undertake additional responsibilities as requested by your supervisor.
- Support the development of funding proposals, log frames, budgets and donor management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- University degree or professional qualification in Environmental Health or Environmental Engineering.
- At least two to three years of demonstrated project management experience with an international NGO, including budget and donor management, grant reporting and managing a team of 4-8 staff.
- Strong skills in managing and motivating team member, creating clear work plans, and ensuring team reliably and proactively produces and communicates results.
- Experience contributing to funding proposals, budgets, logical frameworks, etc.
- Experiencing developing and managing budgets.
- Strong knowledge in Behavior Change with regard to sanitation and hygiene.
- Experience in working in rural settings: communities, health facilities and schools.
- Good team management skills.
- Project management (including budget and operations) and site management experience.
- Line management experience with ability to develop, coach and motivate a high performance team.
- Ability to think quickly to respond to immediate requests.
- Ability to take initiative where appropriate to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work and ability to work within tight deadlines.
- A pro-active person who is able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and building professional relationships with colleagues and stakeholders. Good team-player.
- Flexibility to adapt, positive attitude towards change, and a constructive and creative approach to problem solving.
- Strong oral and written English communication skills.
- Computer literacy skills with proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to speak local languages in the project area (Swahili, Runyoro, Luo, Iteso, Lugbara, Lugisu).
- Service oriented, customer focused approach.]
How to apply:
Apply through this link. https://thewatertrust.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=13
This is a rolling application process. Last date for a complete application is May 3rd, 2017, at 5 p.m. EAT. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No paper copy applications will be considered. Due to the number of applications received, we are not able to respond to each application.
Powered by Jobs Uganda