Organization: International Rescue Committee
Closing date: 30 Apr 2017
Job Title: Senior Admin/ Human Resources Officer
Country Program: Uganda
Location: Kampala with frequent travels to other field offices
Duration: 12months with extension
The IRC was registered in Uganda in mid-1998 and implements rehabilitation activities in the sectors of Child and Youth Protection and development, Health, Economic recovery and Development and women protection and empowerment as well as contributing to the response to the Southern Sudanese Refugee situation. IRC Uganda has a head office in Kampala, field offices in Kitgum, Karamoja, and West Nile and in Kiryandongo.
SCOPE OF WORK: Reporting to the Country Senior Admin/HR Manager, the Senior Admin/ Human Resource Officer is responsible for providing support to the various Human Resources functions of the country program. This will include rolling out IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures which covers recruitment, orientation, compensation, professional development, performance management and exit management. The Senior Admin/ HR Officer will have oversight over all field Admin/HR Officers and work closely with the Field Senior Management Team to ensure compliance with IRC administrative standards and with local laws and regulations.**
Recruitment and On-boarding:
- Initiate and coordinate all the recruitment requests and follow through on hiring procedures in line with the policy.
- Prepare and post all job advertisements for all vacant positions in appropriate channels and ensure wide and appropriate distribution, this includes e-filing of application and sending out HR communications.
- Maintain an organized recruitment resource database and bi-weekly update the recruitment status report and send it to all managers on a weekly basis
- Organize interviews and follow through on hiring procedures in line with the IRC policy
- Liaise with hiring managers and field based HR/Admin staff to ensure new staff are oriented upon hire in all IRC offices
Staff development & Training
- Coordinate staff trainings in accordance with the Learning and Development Plan; monitor and track all IRC sponsored trainings, ensuring all stall fill out training bonds, feedback reports and all related training documents in total compliance with IRC’s policies and procedures.
- Support staff learning by creating innovative ways of encouraging on line learning for all staff
- Coordinate training courses for employees as required.
HR Management (Organisationnel management)
- Support the Senior Admin/HR Manager in order to include HR parameters in the country program strategic action plan and all strategic decisions related to IRC in Uganda
- Support Senior Admin/HR Manager in change management for all offices
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of IRC personnel policies and ensure the implementation of these policies.
- Contribute to the overall management of HR/Admin department, drawing from on own diagnosis, professional knowledge/experience and knowledge of the organization.
- Participate in Budget vs Actual meetings submit report for your supervisors action and follow-up in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate and facilitate the salary review every two years
- Ensure all employee salary change is made in compliance with IRC global compensation policy.
- Coordinate staff welfare management initiatives across the field sites in collaboration with other field HR Leads
- Develop and review the national payroll salary mapping in liaison with Finance Departments. Monthly produce salary allocation reports in conjunction with the Senior HR/Admin Manager, Financial Controller and Senior Operations Coordinator
Health Insurance management: Coordinate the national staff health insurance scheme ensuring timely and accurate monthly reports from the service provider; ensure all new staff benefit from the scheme upon recruitment**
GPA Insurance management
- Coordinate staff Group Personal Accident compensation scheme with Britam; submit monthly reports and ensure all staff are enrolled to the scheme upon hire
- Ensure that exited staff are removed from cover and credit notes are issued by the insurer.
- Coordinate timely performance appraisals and maintain an updated PME database for all staff in coordination with the other field HR leads
- Ensure that performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency
- Collate training needs from the PME and ensure that they are captured in the Annual learning and development plan.
- Ensure that payroll is timely and is accurately managed monthly
- Act as the focal point person for the national payroll process and train two key back up staff for the payroll.
- Oversee the Process of Payroll for National and incentive staff and serve as primary liaison with the field offices on payroll related issues.
- Oversee the timely remittance of NSSF and PAYE and other Benefits.
Reporting and Information Management
- Maintain the HR Data Base in all field offices and regularly update employee information.
- Maintain an accurate and timely employee filing system.
- Ensure the IRC way violations are captured ,reported and followed through on a monthly
- Manage the Scorecard system and ensure accuracy and tracking on a monthly basis
- Prepare and manage the HR Metrics reports and ensure timely submission Monthly
- Conduct an annual HR personnel file audit for the country program and ensures total compliance with HR records and propose recommendations for action point in all field offices and report to the Senior Admin/HR Manager
- Maintain and update the timesheet tracking system for both national and international staff and file all timesheets appropriately.
- Produce HR semi-annual and annual reports and share these with the senior management team, Senior Admin/HR Manager. Information in these reports will include general HR information such as turnover statistics, success stories, new projects/ initiatives that are underway, per the IRC Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure the Senior Administration/HR Manager is informed of all developments and issues pertaining to Administration
- Process all termination paperwork for all national and expatriate staff including preparation of termination notice letters in relation to closing grants and restructuring.
- Work closely with supervisors to ensure exit interviews are offered to all staff and data is captured in the online exit survey to ensure a learning and reflective culture in the country program.
- Ensure that staff are removed from the Health Insurance scheme and GPA schemes accordingly
- Directly supervise the HR/Admin Officer, Administrative Assistant and the HR/Admin volunteers based in Kampala and ensure all work duties are performed satisfactorily.
- In liaison with the HR volunteers/interns, maintain and ensure an accessible, central filing system; ensure orderly archiving of official human resource documents
Other Human Resource Functions
Read, review and become knowledgeable of the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures and draft addendums for the (CP) for any areas of non-compliance with Ugandan Laws in liaison with your supervisor
Perform other work related duties as required by the supervisor and SMT
REQUIREMENTS (Qualifications, Skills and Abilities)
- University studies/ Higher education in Human Resources, Business administration or any other related course
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management, Human Resources preferred
- At least 4 years of experience in similar position;
- Proven skills in administration and human resources management
- Strong organizational, interpersonal skills
- good administrative skills
- Strong written and oral English communications skills
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to present information effectively; experience providing training and staff development a plus
- Good analytic skills and ability to settle disputes.
- must demonstrate flexibility to adapt to changing requirements; must be able to work independently while being a strong team player;
- Strong skills in collaboration with multi-cultural and diverse teams
- A team builder with excellent people skills; must be culturally sensitive
- Commitment to consistently improving and developing innovative HR solutions in response to HR/organizational Country Program challenges**_**
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to apply:
To apply, please click on
Whilst all applications will be assessed strictly on their individual merits, qualified women are especially encouraged to apply. IRC is an equal opportunity Employer. International allowances are not available, position open to Ugandan Nationals only. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Powered by Jobs Uganda