Organization: Save the Children
Closing date: 19 Apr 2017
Emergency Response Director
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Emergency Response Director (ERD) assumes overall oversight and management of the SC Uganda (SCUG) Cat 2 emergency response to the South Sudanese refugee influx as well as the emergency response to the Congolese refugee population, in collaboration with the Country Director and Senior Management Team (SMT). The ERD leads the development/revision of an effective resource mobilization strategy – including donor engagement – to ensure the response programme is funded and backstopped adequately.
Contract Duration: 2 years
Location: Kampala, West Nile and Western Region, Uganda
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree or higher or equivalent field experience
- Extensive experience of working within a senior management role and within a complex country programme in an emergency response or fragile state setting; and/or extensive experience of setting up responses in out of area contexts (either where no SC presence or CO presence); and/or extensive experience of working in high income contexts
- Previous experience of managing programme teams in large-scale/complex, first phase emergency response is essential
- Senior management experience of leading a diverse, multi-function and/or multi-sector team at a Country Director or other relevant SMT level.
- Experience of managing multi-donor, multi-site programmes (including ECHO, DFID and OFDA) of GBP 5m+ in a first phase response at regional or country level
- Multi-site security management in insecure environments
- Experience of international level representation with key stakeholders, and co-ordination with other NGOs/UN
- Experience of international media representation and advocacy
- Experience of M&E and beneficiary accountability systems in large complex programmes
- Experience of developing and negotiating successful partnerships with institutional donors
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
How to apply:
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: ‘MKogi.email@example.com‘
Powered by Jobs Uganda